Forum Tree (2009)
I created this project back in 2009 when I thought a horizontal tree-based forum layout was a good idea.
It parses the Hacker News API, and generates a tree style view. Unfortunately it was designed to run on AppEngine, and due to lack of maintenance no longer works. Here’s the only low-res picture I have of it.
- Edges draw with Canvas (back when Internet Explorer didn’t support it)
- It runs pretty fast even on slow browsers
- Responsive design (before we had media-queries)
- Runs on Tornado and Google App Engine
- It’s good for people who like to skim, the highest rated conversation path is shown first
- Horizontal layouts like this require too much clicking and scrolling
- Don’t optimize for speed before considering usability
- Be careful when investing in platforms
Here is the Github repo.